Thursday, November 22, 2012

Nickelberry CreamsiKole!

Portrait of the artist dressed as his blog.

So, here's the deal - I loved Wreck-It Ralph. 
And I especially loved that we got to spend as much time as we did in Sugar Rush because I loved that world with every candy-coated, girly-pop-listening, my-little-pony-watching bone in my beardy, beardy body.

So I saw some of my best art friends were all getting on this fun bandwagon and Sugar Rushing themselves...so I thought I'd join in! Especially because this is pretty much the first 'thing' I've done in a week. 

So I present you with the result of whole minutes of thinking about candy-puns, and a few hours of my Wednesday evening: Nickelberry CreamsiKole!!
I listened to that new Carly Rae Jepsen album so much while I drew that...I think I might throw up. :p

In other news, I am still in a major waiting room regarding...well...everything else in my life. But God has been merciful in dealing with me, my impatience, my lack of faith, and desire to know exactly where everything is going. I don't. And that's awesome, because adventures are awesome. Even for reluctant Hobbits.
In the meantime, I have discovered a few things worth sharing! 

An incredible article, assessing the broken priorities we have as artists in the creative professions:


All that picture needs is a little more Jesus. But it outlines the problems gorgeously.
It really spoke to me as an artist coming out of a 3 year stint in the games industry. I've been really forced to take a hard look at what I've believed about art and success- and I've realized that not everything we were taught at art-school was good or healthy. 
I particularly loved this quote of his: "It is a universal truth that all artists think they are frauds and charlatans, and live in constant fear of being exposed"

Which is never truer than of waiting to hear back on a pitch- it's a rollercoaster (like so much of this vocation) of "this doesn't suck- it might even be good!" into "THEY'RE GOING TO FIND OUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING" 
Speaking of feeling out-of-control...yesterday I discovered Ze Frank for the first time, because of this video about Crushing Words. And it's beautiful and true and sad and hopeful all at the same time. Which is where I like to live- so it was like finding a new friend :)


And for something that's NOT a downer! Maybe have a video of one of my favorite acapella performances of all time? The Dartmouth Aires' Queen Medley!

Or perhaps you're just here for the art and you want to see bunches more? Then head over to my Deviantart sub-gallery where I've been posting a bunch of the work I had been keeping secret for 3 years on Project Copernicus!

(or, y'know, just check out my tumblr if you're one of those people)


Oh yeah, and Happy Thanksgiving!

How are your days, bloggerfolk?

Much love!

-n

5 comments:

Alejandro López Moñivas said...

your work is amazing!!
I love it.


a greeting,

Alex ;)

Gaelen Mibeck said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lady Teacup said...

So.

The image showed up in my feed and I geeked out just a little bit. :)
Firstly, mad addicted to your artwork.
Secondly, Creamsicles are the epitome of my childhood summers with freshly mown grass and having nothing to do but lay on your towel after swimming and giggle as you eat said frozen treat of beautifulness. All day.

So thank you, Mr. Kole, for another happy thought.

In summertime & beaches,
~Her Grace

Anonymous said...

Just popped up to catch up with your recent work :) and totally astounded at how much more exciting and beautiful your work has become. I have loved the Jellybots from the very first drawing you put on deviantart, and am so glad that you are pitching it - and one day it WILL be a real thing (that I will then blissfully buy).

Much luck and success to you,
Vera :)

Adam said...

I love everything you do and make and are. So keep it up, brother.

Nickelberry FOR THE WIN!